Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Ubuntu 10.10

This post was written inside an ubuntu10.10 OS.

I lost two buy-ins early in my morning session yesterday. Pointing downstream, I found myself looking into the possibility of installing ubuntu dual boot. I posted my situation in the forums and within fifteen minutes, I had a reply.

The person recommended steps that I can take. It seemed possible that I can do the install with the help from forum members and took the plunge. I started the process at around 1pm. I finished the install at around 7pm. But it wasn't finished yet. The version I installed was from a year ago when I requested the liveCD. Ubuntu had to update itself to the latest version, 10.04 and that took overnight.

I was awakened at 4.30am because the pc was still running. When I checked in, the upgrade was finished. I am now a happy linux person. As the saying goes, "once you go black, you never go back."

If only all my poker software were available in linux.

Ubuntu is now my default OS on startup. If I wanted to play poker, I'd simply restart in windows vista. Comparing startup times, ubuntu is up and ready in a minute whereas vista needs more then four minutes. Ubuntu is so much faster, more efficient. Best of all, it's free.

Being different, you do things differently with ubuntu. I have search on hand and ready. Installing google chrome was different and took me four attempts before I had chrome running. Soon as I got it, I installed xmarks, and got all my bookmarks from my vista chrome.

Next step for me is to look into the possibility of using virtualbox. This allows me to use windows apps inside the ubuntu OS.