Thursday, March 31, 2011

failed to connect to database

Holdem manager failed to connect to database this afternoon when I was about to play. I had to do troubleshooting to make it work--and it didn't. And it's frustrating. First I did the simple stop/start server. That didn't work. I then tried everything listed in that webpage, to no avail.

I practically followed every step outlined in the hem website (http://goo.gl/8Vpu7). It probably would have been less stressful if I simply went for the combo reinstall. It's what I am about to do now. That means I am going to leave my pc running overnight. It'll finish sometime before 5am. That's how it went the last time this happened.

I know I made an entry here somewhere, but I couldn't find it. This time, I am tagging this post as hem to make it easy for me to find it. Come to think of it, I need to be more specific when tagging my posts.

So now I'm thinking, maybe I can play without this crutch?

10.10pm

I downloaded the hem combo installer and installed over the current install folder. HEM installed without any problem. Postgresql failed to install. The error message said that the port couldn't be opened. Both were installed in drive j.

So I removed both and did a reinstall. This time, hem installed in drive J, but postgresql went to drive C. All went well. HEM is now importing hand history--21,423 files to import. This started at 10.08pm. I am leaving my pc on overnight, change task manager priority to high before I go to sleep.

In the meantime, I stumble.

10.53am, the following day...

I awoke at 3.33am this morning and found hem 1/3 of the way with the hand imports. I decided that I don't really need all hh from last year. People change. I ticked off to import hands from this year only and went back to sleep. Waking up at six, the hand import was finished.

Next was to make sure that everything was running as it should. My hem configurations were gone and had to make them from scratch while making sure the hud reflects these changes in real time at the tables.

As you can see, it's a tedious process. HEM is a great tool. But because of this circumstance, I am now looking for a way to play with one less tool.

I sent hem support an email as all this was happening. Here is their reply:

Hello,
        This is usually a firewall or windows update issue and the following guide will help you to fix this problem.

Go to Start > Programs (or all programs) > PostgreSQL 8.x > choose Stop Service

Start > Programs (or all programs) > PostgreSQL 8.x and choose Start Service. This may take some time and a black dos window may appear while it’s starting. If it fails to start delete the C:\Program Files\postgresql\8.x\data\
postmaster.pid file, if you see it. Do not delete any other files

Add exceptions to the windows firewall, even if it is off.  If you have a 3rd party firewall, do the equivalent or uninstall it temporarily – http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/275/Windows+Firewall+%7B47%7D+Defender+Problems - Windows Firewall / Defender Problems

If none of those worked Please reboot and try following these FAQs, step by step:

1)    http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/91/Can’t+Connect+%7B47%7D+Failed+to+Start+PostgreSQL+ Can’t Connect / Failed to Start PostgreSQL
2)    Reinstall the same version of postgresql, using the same \data folder – http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/71/Reinstall+PostgreSQL+Preserving+Old+DatabaseReinstall PostgreSQL Preserving Old Database

Failing that you will probably have to reinstall PostgreSQL completely and reimport your archived hands using these instructions. Once you do this you won’t have access to the hands in the old database but since you can’t connect to the database your already in that situation. In the case it’s not possible to reconnect you can either contact the PostgreSQL forums who may be able to help with advanced connection issues or you can reinstall. I’ve listed 3 PostgreSQL forums below
http://forums.devshed.com/postgresql-help-21/
http://old.nabble.com/PostgreSQL-f759.html
http://www.dbforums.com/postgresql/

1)    Uninstall PostgreSQL via Control Panel > Programs & Features (Add/Remove Programs on XP).
2)    Use our combo installer to reinstall PostgreSQL.  Make sure you un-check Holdem Manager during installation.  http://rvgsoftware.fileburst.com/Holdem_Manager_Setup.exe

If that installer fails to install PostgreSQL, please reinstall PostgreSQL using the following instructions:

The secondary logon service is a standard windows service which is available on every windows computer and is required to be running to install PostgreSQL. In the latest versions it is not started automatically. You need to start it via control panel > administrative tools > services. Starting it once should insure it works in the future also.

Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt > Right-Click > Run As Administrator
In the window that appears please type the following and press enter:

net user postgres /delete

Try installing this version of PostgreSQL – http://rvgsoftware.fileburst.com/Postgres_8.3.9-v1.0.7.exe
If that also fails Please follow step A again and try this version http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/download/mirrors-ftp/binary/v8.2.17/win32/postgresql-8.2.17-1.zip


Regards
RDB
How are we doing?  Let us know by commenting on our Facebook or Tweeting us @holdemmanager!"