Sunday, February 27, 2011

ubuntu

I am taking a semi-break from playing poker until the end of the month. I decided to give the Ubuntu OS a try, at least for the weekend.

This morning, I was using stumbleupon and found this website on why linux is better. I thought this was synchronicity telling me something, so I looked around. Before I could finish reading all the links, I decided to give it a try.

Here's a great resource I found to install ubuntu insde windows vista. I'm doing the install right now. It is going to take half an hour to get this set up.

I requested for a free Ubuntu live CD more than a year ago. I did not know much about it at that time. When I tried the test environment, somehow, I did not do much and went back to windows after an hour. I think it had something to do with the modem I was using then.

One thing that helped me decide was learning that I can run mozilla firefox and google chrome on ubuntu. With browsers like these, I have openoffice, and pretty much everything else I need to get some work done.

The only issue holding me back from going ubuntu all the way are my poker software. It needs windows, specially tableninja and holdemmanager. This is why I am installing ubuntu inside of windows. When I play poker, I will run windows vista. When I finish, I will run ubuntu. It's going to take a few minutes more restarting the pc to select OS though. I think it's a small price to pay compared to the benefits I can get from an open source OS like ubuntu.